Do you find it difficult squeezing in time to sleep? Do you wish there were more than 24 hours in a day so that you could sleep more? Well, while this is impractical, it is possible to feel refreshed with a few hours of sleep if you learn how to sleep less and have more energy and health!
1. No matter how less you sleep, follow a sleep schedule so that your body can fine tune its biological clock. Sleeping at random times confuses your body, and it doesn’t know if it’s time to sleep or get up. If you find this difficult because of your work schedule, at least wake up at a fixed time so that your body adjusts to naturally waking up at that time.
2. Don’t take any stimulants like coffee, nicotine, drugs or alcohol before sleeping as it makes it even more difficult to sleep. By reducing them, you not only sleep better, but you have higher energy levels throughout the day. If you do consume them, at least wait and hydrate yourself before sleeping.
3. Make your room as dark as possible before sleeping as your body is naturally engineered to sleep when it’s dark and be awake when there’s light. So switch off your television, computer, cellphone and other artificial light sources at least half an hour before sleeping.
4. Don’t eat big meals before bedtime as your body finds it difficult digesting it when you are asleep, and you end up reducing the overall quality of your sleep.
5. Take a power nap as it gives you an energy boost while giving your mind a break. However the power nap shouldn’t be longer than 20 minutes as if you sleep more, you go into deep sleep wherein you feel groggy when you get up.
6. Last, but not least, there’s nothing like recovering your sleep over the weekend. You and your body need to follow the same schedule through the week for your body system to work well.
Remember that sleep is important for your body to rejuvenate and heal itself. If you don’t have the time to sleep for 8 hours a day, at least try to learn how to sleep less and have more energy to face the day with these tips!